Image credit: Lenzo
Today marks my 12th year of blogging. It feels like a century since I’ve first started blogging back in 2004.
As I sit here on my dining table typing away in my macbook writing this post, I feel nostalgic as this very blog started back in 2004 in my other apartment dining table and registered and published on a laptop too. It is funny how everything has come back in a full circle and here I am still typing away thinking of what I should share in this blog post.
Since 2004, this blog has seen me through 5 jobs, a marriage, a divorce, two dogs, probably gone through thousands of beauty products and hundreds of beauty treatments.
Today, I thought I should share some lessons I’ve learnt throughout the years of beauty blogging.
- Have an open mind – no matter how much you know about the beauty field, always have an open mind. Be willing to trial new things because this was the only way it allowed me to try brands I’ve never heard of before and fell absolutely in love with.
- Learn to let go – Old makeup / beauty products, who hordes them? Put your paws up! I too am guilty as charged with these and I made it to a point to always clean out/throw out products that are expiring and finishing up skincare products that I didn’t love on my body instead of throwing it away so nothing goes to waste.
- Be creative – Don’t ever let your imagination limits you. Don’t let what magazines, beauty editors, youtubers to tell you what to do. Allow them to inspire you but the whole process/fun part of beauty is to experiment things your way in your own terms because no one knows you better than YOU. Play with the way you use make up and don’t let RULES define what can be done and what’s not.
- Stay away from all things tattoo on your face – No matter how much people tell you, or how desperate of a trend you want to joint badly. Nothing GOOD ever comes out of bringing a tattoo needle near your face, EVER. I have yet to meet a person who doesn’t regret doing so. Don’t do it, brows, lids, lips, whatever it is, just say no.
- Less is more – I used to be that girl who carries 4-5 lip products in her handbag at any given time. I used to have 15-20 makeup steps on a daily basis for over a decade. I used to never leave home without liquid eyeliner, mascara, curling my lashes, blush, concealer, foundation, powder, lipstick and the list goes on. I am not sure if this comes with age, or I’ve learnt to embrace my face as it is, my make up steps these days probably only consist of 5 products at best. Crazy how time and my make up evolution has changed.
With that, I’m going to leave you and gorge on a donut or two. I hope you enjoyed this post and thank you for your loyalty in reading this blog (all 10 of you left!).