I am back from my mini hiatus and will be resuming my fitness journey here on my blog.
Whilst I was away, I have kept my diet somewhat clean and have continued lifting heavy and keeping up with my cardio sessions. I’ve also kept on eating healthy throughout Christmas and New Years. All that hot weather helped with suppressing my appetite too.
So what have I been up to since the New Year:
- 3rd January – Had my initial catch up with my comp prep coach. We’ve discussed and decided it is best for me to start my prep with ketogenic diet with plans to transition into cyclical ketogenic diet in the next couple of weeks.
- Long story short, it means I will be cutting all forms of carbs and sugar out of my diet. I am on a 80% fat and 20% protein diet at the moment. I am also fasting between by last meal and the first meal of the day for 16 hours daily.
- 10th January – Today is Day 7 of keto diet (started on the 4th Jan – 22% body fat) and I have lost 2.8kg thus far. I believe most of the weight I’ve lost are water weight and my goal is to lose 1% body fat a week.
- I’ve been reading up heaps about keto diet (something I’ve previously researched about a year ago) and surprisingly find that a diet without carbs and sugar ain’t all that bad. Due to the high fat content I’m consuming, I find that my skin is slightly oilier and my cuticle are well moisturised and my nails are growing quicker. Hopefully my hair would grow out quicker too.
- I got into ketosis within 24 hours of starting of the diet (usually takes 3 days) and surprisingly managed to stay in ketosis mode for the past 7 days. I’ve been tracking my ketosis readings via keto-stix that can be easily found in pharmacies.
- Along with being in ketosis; I experience keto flu about day 3 into keto diet, it lasted about 2-3 days and I now have energy to last the day without feeling sleepy/tired/lethargic.
- I do however noticed that I have been weaker at the gym. I have only been able to lift 80% of my usual weight. Right now as my body is transitioning into the new diet and burning fat as a source of energy instead of the usual glucose, my routine is focusing on less rest in between sets and focusing in moderate weight + higher rep sets.
- With the new diet, I’m also currently laying off most of my usual supplement except for the super greens and creatine only.
- I’ve got my first INBA posing class booked in next week and I can’t wait to get amongst it.
- My comp heels are ready and itching for some training.
All in all, I am hopeful with what I am capable of bringing on stage and can’t wait for May 2017, it’ll be a life changing month for me.