Couple of months ago, Laura Mercier released 3 new shades for the Original and Oil free Tinted Moisturiser in #Blush, #Bisque & #Tawny. I was sent #Blush which is a yellow based beige shade. We don’t need any introduction to Laura Mercier’s award winning and best selling tinted moisturisers for both original and oil free formula. They’ve pretty much graced every single beauty section within magazines and awards around the world. It’s a cult must-have for the tinted moisturiser craze, pre BB and CC cream era.
You know what they say about an oldie is always a goodie? As mentioned above, I was sent the Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturiser SPF 20 in #Blush and this is equally hydrating despite its oil free category. In terms of coverage, the tinted moisturiser is pretty sheer, so I’ll recommend properly concealing your skin prior to applying this. As for application methods, I’ve experimented with fingers, brush and sponge application. Personally, I quite like the sponge application technique as it gives the skin an even finish without packing on way too much products on the skin.
As with all tinted moisturiser, treat it as a make up product. You’ll still need use your skincare, sunscreen and primer (if you have excessive oily T-zone/skin) and make sure you properly remove all traces of make up by the end of the day.
Available at Laura Mercier counters now
For those of you who love the makeup brand Laura Mercier you’ll love what I’m about to announce even more. So getting in times of price cutting, Laura Mercier too has come on board in slashing their price tags down. In conjunction with the price slash and new launch (Oil free Supreme Foundation), I’ve taken up the challenge for a complete ‘Flawless Face’ finish courtesy of Laura Mercier.
Laura Mercier’s trademark ‘Flawless Face’ is the original way to achieve flawless complexion with the help of using the right make up products. Something many women find it challenging and is yet to accomplish this due to the overwhelming feeling when faced at a make up counter. Laura Mercier has mastered their special technique by designing a four step approach. A common misconception to have flawless face is to pile on too much make up, with Laura Mercier it’s about using the right amount, right tools and right products to enhance your beauty for a flawless finish.
Step 1: Foundation Primer
We all know this already, a primer helps to moisture, locks in foundation and create the perfect smooth canvas for makeup to be applied. Laura Mercier offers a range of primer from mineral, hydrating, oil free to their cult classic primer. For my oily mug, my top pick has to be their Primer – Oil Free. Smooth the primer all over face and ensure it dries completely before your foundation process. Finger application is recommended.
Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer RRP AUD$45
Step 2: Foundation
This is a personal choice of course; Laura Mercier foundation range offers a range of tinted moisturiser (bestselling) to Oil Free Supreme Foundation, Moisture Supreme Foundation, Silk Crème Foundation to Crème Smooth Foundation. It is safe to say there are one for everyone’s cup of tea and one to suit the ever changing climate.
For this I picked the new Oil Free Supreme Foundation, this foundation is pigmented and only very tiny amount is required for full face coverage. Coverage wise I’d say the Laura Mercier Oil Free Supreme Foundation has more of a medium coverage so if you’re after a sheer finish, apply with a damp sponge. Laura Mercier emphasises to apply only where needed and be sure to bring it down to the collarbone for a natural finish.
Love the longevity of this foundation and it does not smudge one bit at all, oh and it comes in pump bottle packaging too, I approve!
Laura Mercier Oil Free Supreme Foundation #Warm Ivory RRP AUD$59
Apply with sponge for smooth coverage or a damp sponge if you’re after a sheer finish. Wash it regularly and it’ll last you a long time.
Step 3: Secret Camouflage + Secret Concealer
I am a fan of Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, so it is no secret that this frequent award winning two-toned concealer is my HG product because it nails the job for discoloration and blemishes. Recently, Laura Mercier upped their game and updated the formula for Secret Camouflage; it is now infused with chamomile to help soothe skin too. WIN!
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage #02 RRP AUD$49
I haven’t tried Secret Concealer in the past and have been actively looking for an emollient concealer specially dedicated for my drying under eye area. I have dark eye circles, eye bags and fine lines so it gets tricky when it comes to concealer application under the eyes.
Overall, I find Secret Concealer way creamier than Secret Camouflage, making it ideal for under the eye area only. I find the Secret Concealer very easy to apply and blend in and around the eye area, be sure to avoid the T-zone area as the emollient and natural oil from T-zone area won’t go well together. Coverage under the eyes I’d give it a 4 out of 5 in covering my ash grey eye bags.
Laura Mercier Secret Concealer #02 RRP AUD$45
Both Secret Camouflage and Secret Concealer are recommended to apply with the Secret Camouflage brush and always apply concealer after foundation step. On the side note, I do know a certain beauty editor (not from Australia) that swears by this combo and she goes by WITHOUT foundation (insert horror face) and just concealer as her day to day make up routine. Crazy huh?
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Brush RRP AUD$48
Step 4: Setting Powder
To finish off your flawless face foundation routine, top it up with a setting powder aka Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder, another one of their bestselling and cult favourite. Definitely one of the silkiest powder that I have tried and goes on sheer (due to no pigments in the powder) so there’s no fear of awkward “white powder” face moment or “caking” moments. As with everything else use sparingly and if you can see powder on your face you’ve used too much.
Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder #Translucent RRP AUD$68
Head to your nearest counter to trial them and find your perfect “Flawless Face” finish.
Stockist 02 9663 4277
All products mentioned are available on Laura Mercier counters now
What: AdoreBeauty’s VIP Christmas Shopping Night provides exclusive offers from 20 brands* plus get a free 3-piece goodie bag with any order over $49 + free standard shipping on any orders over $99
When 5pm, 7th Dec (Wed) to 5pm, 8th Dec (Thurs) 2011
Where: AdoreBeauty, online shopping here
- Benefit Cosmetics – Love their brow products and blushes.
- L’Occitane – Stock up on body wash, body cream, hand cream, all body products
- Alpha-H – Triple Action Cleanser, Liquid Gold Skin Perfecting System, Clear skin kit!
- Burt’s Bees – Lip tints, body scrubs!
- MOR – Cute packaging, great KK ideas.
- love + toast
- Clarins – Foundations, lipsticks are a must have!
- Laura Mercier
- OPI – LOVE OPI!
- Biotherm – BB cream!
- Guinot – Long Vie range is a must have.
- Lancome – Stock up on mascaras.
- Jane Iredale
- Across all fragrance gift sets
So I was thinking to start this post with maybe a Top 5 or Top 10 and I did a rough count on the products I love and is quite shocked that I use approximately 30 beauty products on a daily basis from head to toe.
Naturally, limiting my top picks to just 5 or 10 would be ridiculous. Instead of limiting just a few products, I’ll share with you some of my beauty product discoveries in 2010 that I use and abuse in individual categories.
Favourite Skincare Products in 2010:
- Dior – One Essential Skin Boosting Super Serum
- Guinot – Matizone
- Avon – Clear Skin Professional Acne Treatment System
- Clinique – Turnaround Instant Facial Masque
- La Mer – The Regenerating Serum
- Neutrogena – Oil Free Acne Stress Control Power Cream Wash & Scrub
- Rapid Lash
- SKII – Advanced Eye Treatment Film
- La Purete – Botox Alternative Skin Care Pack
- Ella Bache – Everyday Zinc SPF 30+
- Rodial – Glamtox Eye Light SPF 15
- Rodial – Glamtox Night
- AUM – Brightening Milk Cleanser
- SKII – Whitening Source Dermdefinition
Favourite Base Makeup Products in 2010:
- YSL – Matt Touch Compact
- SKII – Skin Signature Cream in Foundation
- Benefit – The POREfressional
- Laura Mercier – Secret Camouflage
- Napoleon Perdis – Sheer Genius Foundation
- Clarins – Instant Light Brush On Perfector
- St Tropez – Skin Illuminator
- Ellis Faas – Foundation & Concealer
Favourite Makeup (Colours) in 2010:
- Illamasqua – Pure Pigment in #Ore
- Bobbi Brown – Extreme Party Mascara
- Bobbi Brown – Metallic Long Wear Cream Shadow
- Bobbi Brown – Modern Classic Lip & Eye Palette
- Benefit – Instant Brow Pencil
- Laura Mercier – Brow Definer
- MAC – Powder Brush #My Highland Honey
- MAC – Zoom Fast Black Lash
- Benefit – Magic Ink
- Revlon – Fantasy Lengths Maximum Wear Self Adhesive Lashes
Favourite Lip Products in 2010:
- Lanolips – Lemonaid Lip Aid
- Bobbi Brown – Treatment Lip Shine with SPF
- Ellis Faas – Milky Lips
- Ere Perez – Rosehip Oil Lip Bar
- Hourglass – Adorn Lipstick
- Benefit – Full Finish Lipstick
- MAC – Amplified Creme Lipstick #Full Fuchsia
Favourite Haircare Products in 2010:
- VS Sassoon – Curling Tong
- MorrocanOil – Glimmer Shine Spray
- MorrocanOil – Restorative Hair Mask
- Bed Head Tigi – Urban Anti-Dotes Shampoo & Conditioner
- MorrocanOil – Light Treatment Oil
- Al’Chemy – Lemongrass Shampoo
- Remington – Pearl Styler
- GHD – Opulence Mask
- Goldwell – Dual Senses Scalp Regulation Deep Cleansing Shampoo
Favourite Body Products in 2010:
- Ella Bache – Eternal Decollete
- Du’it – Foot & Heel Balm Plus
- Kora – Love Guaranteed Pack
- Rodial – Bum Lift
Favourite Hand and Nail Products in 2010:
- OPI – Hong Kong Collection
- OPI – Who The Shrek Are You Collection
- OPI – Summer Flutter Collection
- Uslu Airline – Nail Polishes
- Clarins – Hand and Nail Treatment Cream
- Lanolips – Rose Balm Intense for Very Dry Hand & Nails
- Anew Clinical – Luminosiy Brightening Hand Cream SPF 15
Favourite Beauty Gadget (or others) in 2010:
- Baby Quasar (week 2 review and week 4 review)
- Clarisonic Plus Set
- Braun – Silk Epil Xpressive 7681
- Glasshouse Fragrance Candles
- Mecca Brushes & Brush Cleanser
- Wet Wipes
- Marc Jacobs – Daisy Solid Perfume Ring
- SKII – Whitening Source Derm-Revival Mask
Mention Worthy #MBBE Favourites:
I love reading beauty lists from other beauty bloggers and have never actually done one myself only because I find it so hard to write done all the products that I use. Let’s just say it’s too many! This post is inspired by Tine’s.
1. How many times do you wash your face daily?
Once with only lukewarm water in the morning and double cleansing at night. Technically 3 times?
2. What skin type do you have?
Generally normal skin with oily T-zone only during warmer months.
3. What is your current facial wash?
I rotate between these for facial wash (and they are all current, believe me!) depending on my skin’s condition on that day:
- Naruko – Narcissus Total Defence Mousse Facial Wash
- Dermalogica – Clearing Skin Wash
- La Purete – Mild Creme Facial Cleanser with Okuru
- AUM – Brightening Milk Cleanser
- Naruko – Narcissus Total Defence AA Foaming Wash
- Neutrogena – Acne Stress Control Power Cream Wash
- Avado Sensitives – Organic Cleanser
- Clarisonic does it count?
I rotate between these for makeup removing:
- Naruko – Narcissus Total Defence Make-up Removing Mousse
- Eve Lom – Cleanser
- Antipodes – Grapeseed Butter Cleanser
- Guinot – One-Step Cleansing Water
- Clinique – Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
4. Do you exfoliate?
Yes, with both physical beads and chemical exfoliants
5. What brand do you use?
Jurlique, SKII, Neutrogena, Jan Marini and Clinique
6. What moisturizer do you use?
Again, I use only one of each category depending on my skin’s needs.
- Naruko – Narcissus Total Defence Moisturizing Day Protector
- SKII – Facial Treatment UV Protection
- Clinique – Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturizer SPF 15
- Ella Bache – Decollete E’Eternite
- SKII – Whitening Source Derm-Brightener
- Bobbi Brown – Hydrating Intense Night Cream
- Naruko – Narcissus Total Defence Moisturizing Night Repair
- Naruko – Marjoram and Lavender Classical Brightening Night Gelly
7. Do you have freckles?
No but sun pigmentation is popping up on random spots.
8. Do you use eye cream?
Yes one with SPF during the day and a nourishing one for night.
9. Do you or did you have acne prone skin?
I used to have pretty bad acne scarred face and still suffer from occational breakouts.
10. Did you ever have to use Pro-activ?
Yes and no. I used bits and pieces of it when le garçon used it.
- SKII -Skin Signature Cream in Foundation Compact
- Naruko – Narcissus Total Defence BB Cream Essence
- Benefit – Some Kind A Gorgeous Lite
- BRTC – Whitening & Repairing BB Cream
- YSL – Matt Touch Compact Foundation
- Napoleon Perdis -Boudoir Mist Spray Foundation
- Napoleon Perdis – Sheer Genius Liquid Foundation
I use these when my skin is tanner:
- Inika – Liquid Mineral Foundation
- La Mer – The SPF 18 Fluid Tint
- Guinot – Tinted Moisturiser
- Vani T – Flawless Finish Airbrush Foundation
- Biotherm – Long Wear Detox Foundation
- Hourglass – Oil free Fluid Makeup
12. How about concealer?
I have a few, Napoleon Perdis – Mighty Concealer Pen for acne/scars, Laura Mercier – Secret Camouflage for dark circles, redness and discolouration & Clarins- Instant Light for highlighting.
13. Do you know your undertone color?
I believe it is yellow.
14. What do you think of fake eyelashes?
Used to wear them everyday many years ago. Have since taken a back seat and only wear them for events. That being said, I LOVE THEM.
15. Did you know that you are supposed to change your mascara every 3 months?
Yes! But if I use a mascara once every 2 weeks, I’d usually push it and throw mascaras when they start to feel clumpy or dried up.
16. What brand of mascara do you use?
I rotate between my favourites and the ones I get set for trialling. Some of my favourite ones are:
- Majolica Marjorca – Lash Enamel Glamour Neo
- Bobbi Brown – Extreme Party Mascara
- Model Co- Extension Mascara + Lash Fiber
- Clarins – Double Fix Mascara
- Avon – Super Magnify Mascara
17. Sephora or MAC?
Sephora, not a MAC fan if I can help it.
18. What makeup tools do you use in make up application?
Brushes (foundation, blush, concealer, brow, lip and a couple of eye blending ones), eyelash curler, tweezer (for fake eye lashes).
19. Do you use make-up base/primer for the eyes?
Yes, I have one of those disgustingly annoying oily lids.
20. For the face?
21. What is your favorite eyeshadow (color or shade)?
What do you mean by just one?
Bobbi Brown – Eye Shadow #Bone, #Ivory
Bobbi Brown – Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow #Heather Rose, #Quarry
Bobbi Brown – Metallic Long-Wear Cream Shadow #Black Pearl
Estee Lauder – Signature Eyeshadow Quad #Lavish Plum
Illamasqua – Pure Pigment #Ore
22. Do you use pencil or liquid eyeliner?
Usually liquid, pencil-and-smudge look for softer day look.
23. How often do you poke your eyes with an eyeliner pencil?
Almost never. Touch wood.
24. What do you think of pigment eyeshadows?
It’s a tough one, I use to hate them until I learn how to apply them properly. Now I’m hooked, pop by Illamasqua counter to try out pigments in clever minimal mess packaging as well.
25. Do you use mineral makeup?
I honestly think that this is a hoax. I’ve tried mineral makeup they either break me out or is too difficult to find a shade that suits me and last.
26. What is your favorite lipstick?
There’s quite a few since I’m a massive lipstick evangelist. In no particular order::
- Elis Faas – #L101
- YSL – #14 (Rouge Volupte)
- Elizabeth Arden – #Red Door Red
- NARS – #Terre De Feu (Pure Matte Lipstick)
- KIT – #Soul Sister
- Napoleon Perdis – #Anna
- Estee Lauder – #Orchd Dream (Gloss)
- Estee Lauder – #Apricot Sun, #Pink Crush (Signature)
- Hourglass – #Icon
- Revlon – #Strawberry Suede (Matte)
- MAC – #Full Fuchsia (Amplified)
- MAC – #Utterly Frivolous (Lustre)
- Bobbi Brown – #Pink Glisten, #Nectarine (Treatment Lip Shine SPF 15)
- Benefit – #Pillow Talk
- Rimmel – #Coral in Gold
- Ere Perez – #Joy (Cheek & Lip Tint)
- Avon – #Pink Berry (Smooth Mineral)
27. How about lipgloss?
Not much of a fan of lipgloss.If I were to pick, I really like Chanel’s Glossimer glosses and Lancome’s.
28. What is your favorite blush to use?
I really like blushes from Bobbi Brown, Stila (one step prime color), MAC, NARS and Benefit’s.
29. Do you buy your makeup on eBay?
30. Do you like drugstore makeup?
Generally no but I can definitely think you can find some good stuff from there.
31. Did you ever consider taking make-up classes?
No but thanks to my blog I’ve been able to attend quite a few makeup classes from various makeup brands.
32. Are you clumsy in putting on makeup?
Used to when I put on eye makeup and I still can be clumsy when I’m either nervous or anxious.
33. Name a makeup crime that you hate?
Badly waxed/shaped/tweezed brows because that’s the first thing I look at.
34. Do you like colorful shades of makeup (lipstick, eyeshadow) or neutral ones?
Colours! Give me colours!
35. Which celebrity always has great make up?
I’m not a celebrity make up fan, I believe make up is about making it work for you not to imitate others.
36. If you could leave the house using just ONE make up item, what would you use?
37. Could you ever leave the house without any makeup on?
Yes, I have no issues with that, perhaps a little too comfortable without one would say.
38. Do you think you look good even without any makeup on?
I don’t think I look bad without makeup on most days. Unfortunately, I have the same issue as with most Asian would find, without makeup we can look pretty pale, sick and washed out.
39. In your opinion, what is the BEST makeup line?
I truly believe there’s at least one amazing product from each and every make up line. If I really have to pick I’d say Bobbi Brown purely because they are very wearable.
40. What do you think of Makeup?
It’s fun, it’s exciting and I’d say you gotta trial and experiment for what works best for you. You never stop playing and learning with makeup, that’s the beauty of it.
Previously, while having my brows redesigned, Lien also provided heaps of fabulous makeup tips and she also recommended heaps of makeup products while she was at it. Two of the products that intrigued me the most is a concealer and a brow product. Coincidentally, both are from Laura Mercier, a brand I rarely tried.
My Ellis Faas concealer ran out not too long ago and have been looking for a concealer replacement for a while to no avail, the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (RRP AUD$65) came just in time and was the perfect fit! I vaguely remember Zoe Foster used to rave about this product too but I was too in love with my Biotherm concealer and didn’t think I had love for any other concealers until now.
This concealer (I use #SC-3) is not your regular cream/liquid base, it is wax base and believe it or not, it does wonders in concealing dark circles, imperfections around the face, acne scars and discoloration. Comes in two highly pigmented shades to blend and match to your liking but feel featherlight at the same time.
One thing though, this concealer works best only with a synthetic concealer brush. Lien recommends using Stila’s brush; I use Ecotool’s. Most days, I use more concealer than foundation because if you can conceal your flaws and let the rest of your skin breathe, that’s the best thing you can ever do for your skin. Also, Lien also mention when your skin is correctly concealed, there’s actually no need for foundation to mask the face on a daily basis.
Of course, a consultation with the brow expert I was determined to walk away with a brow product or two recommendations.
Lien recommended Laura Mercier’s Brow Definer (RRP AUD$42) – a wax/gel formula brow product that coats each brow hair by injecting your brows with depth of colour and to eliminate dullness which is common for sparse brows.
The waxiness of the product, holds the hair lightly in place and lasts throughout the day without fading while adding fullness and texture to my sparse brows. I’m using #Soft and since discovering this I may or may not have neglected all my other brow products.
What really stands out for me is that, this delivers even application in just a few strokes and holds my bushy brows in place no problem at all! Also, the end results look and feels very natural.
Again, you’ll require angled brow brush to use this product.
Hello fellow beauty lovin’ ladies,
If you think you’ve seen the monster of all goodie bag wait until you’ve seen Adorebeauty‘s goodie bag. Last Friday, I was invited to Adorebeauty’s Forum Night. It is a beauty event that the lovely Kate throws out a small party to REWARD her loyal customers/forum community.
A little bit more about the forum, it is Australia’s No#1 forum dedicated to beauty. In there, you discuss and suss out just about any beauty brand you can think of. Much like Vogue forum except it is 100% beauty focused and my are the AB Forum an enthusiastic bunch.
I had a great time meeting all forum ladies in person and Kate was always around for questions, tips and product recommendations because it is safe to say that lady tries more makeup than let’s say 10 beauty editors combined. (Did you know that AdoreBeauty houses 3000 over beauty products?)
Kate spoilt us by having our makeup done by Laura Mercier and Benefit (they had makeup artist flew in from Sydney to pamper the ladies who attended). I know, awesome right?
Towards the end of the night, we were all given a personalised goodie bag. I feel so spesh!
May I present you the monster of goodiebag that are mostly full-sized products.
Some of the amazing ones:
Jurlique’s Fruit Enzyme Exfoliator
O&M Atonic Thickening Spritz
Butter London nail polish!!
Ole Henrikson Blue/black Berry Enzyme Mask
A’Kin Cellular Radiance Serum
P/S: For those of you who resides outside of Australia, AdoreBeauty ships internationally and you can safely bet on all their products are 100% genuine and the customer service is legendary famous. Also, don’t rule out the possibility that your package will arrive with surprise goodies.