The list of beauty products I can recommend for colder months can be endless so instead of harping on the same products over and over again, I thought I should share with you some new products that were launched recently.
Uriage Aquaprecis Moisturizing Refreshing Cream Gel RRP AUD$49.95
Good for all skin types minus the greasiness. Highly recommend this as a day moisturiser. Sits well under sunscreen, make up and helps to lock in moisture and keep skin well hydrated throughout the day with no signs of tightness or dryness. Bonus bit, it dries off matte making it perfect for reapplication during the day when needed.
Clarins Hydraquench Cream-Gel RRP AUD$70
I prefer this as my night cream so I can pile on a thick layer before bed. Due to its cream-gel texture, you can just press/pat this onto face (definitely recommend to incorporate some massaging action) and it works to rehydrate, sooth and nourish skin overnight to reduce any signs of dryness and discomfort from it. The best bit of this cream-gel is that it helps to regulate sebum production effectively by balancing the hydration level on skin.
Uriage Bariederm Soothing Repair Barrier Lip Balm RRP AUD$19.95
Want a lip balm that locks in moisture without a thick layer of grease all over your lips? This is it! It comes with a slanted tip so you can apply directly onto lips without the need for finger application (win!) Works as a barrier and is great for lip swatching too!
Titbit: In France, doctors actually prescribe this to terminally ill patients who are losing their repairing cells while undergoing harsh treatments like chemotherapy.
Revitanail Cuticle Remover Gel RRP AUD$29.95
During colder months, I find my hands tend to feel dry and tight more so than usual and this indirectly means so does my cuticles! No one wants the sight of dry, flaky cuticles; hence something like Revitanail Cuticle remover helps to softens those annoying cuticle bits and with an orange stick, it helps to push them away. Also try the award winning Revitanail Nail Strengthener RRP AUD$14.95, great for post shellac/gellish nails for a calcium boost and to keep nails strong and healthy.
Evodia Champagne Melon Hand & Body Lotion RRP AUD$14.95
Love the pump bottle packaging, making it super convenient and heaps of lotion comes out with just one pump. Saving me time from constantly pumping (hate that when this happens) for a good handful of lotion to work with all over my body and hands. At the moment, I am using this more of a body lotion as I love a good moisturising yet non sticky/greasy lotion. Maybe that’s why this is a lotion not a cream! Oh and it smells great too, what’s not to love?
For those of you who love the makeup brand Laura Mercier you’ll love what I’m about to announce even more. So getting in times of price cutting, Laura Mercier too has come on board in slashing their price tags down. In conjunction with the price slash and new launch (Oil free Supreme Foundation), I’ve taken up the challenge for a complete ‘Flawless Face’ finish courtesy of Laura Mercier.
Laura Mercier’s trademark ‘Flawless Face’ is the original way to achieve flawless complexion with the help of using the right make up products. Something many women find it challenging and is yet to accomplish this due to the overwhelming feeling when faced at a make up counter. Laura Mercier has mastered their special technique by designing a four step approach. A common misconception to have flawless face is to pile on too much make up, with Laura Mercier it’s about using the right amount, right tools and right products to enhance your beauty for a flawless finish.
Step 1: Foundation Primer
We all know this already, a primer helps to moisture, locks in foundation and create the perfect smooth canvas for makeup to be applied. Laura Mercier offers a range of primer from mineral, hydrating, oil free to their cult classic primer. For my oily mug, my top pick has to be their Primer – Oil Free. Smooth the primer all over face and ensure it dries completely before your foundation process. Finger application is recommended.
Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer RRP AUD$45
Step 2: Foundation
This is a personal choice of course; Laura Mercier foundation range offers a range of tinted moisturiser (bestselling) to Oil Free Supreme Foundation, Moisture Supreme Foundation, Silk Crème Foundation to Crème Smooth Foundation. It is safe to say there are one for everyone’s cup of tea and one to suit the ever changing climate.
For this I picked the new Oil Free Supreme Foundation, this foundation is pigmented and only very tiny amount is required for full face coverage. Coverage wise I’d say the Laura Mercier Oil Free Supreme Foundation has more of a medium coverage so if you’re after a sheer finish, apply with a damp sponge. Laura Mercier emphasises to apply only where needed and be sure to bring it down to the collarbone for a natural finish.
Love the longevity of this foundation and it does not smudge one bit at all, oh and it comes in pump bottle packaging too, I approve!
Laura Mercier Oil Free Supreme Foundation #Warm Ivory RRP AUD$59
Apply with sponge for smooth coverage or a damp sponge if you’re after a sheer finish. Wash it regularly and it’ll last you a long time.
Step 3: Secret Camouflage + Secret Concealer
I am a fan of Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, so it is no secret that this frequent award winning two-toned concealer is my HG product because it nails the job for discoloration and blemishes. Recently, Laura Mercier upped their game and updated the formula for Secret Camouflage; it is now infused with chamomile to help soothe skin too. WIN!
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage #02 RRP AUD$49
I haven’t tried Secret Concealer in the past and have been actively looking for an emollient concealer specially dedicated for my drying under eye area. I have dark eye circles, eye bags and fine lines so it gets tricky when it comes to concealer application under the eyes.
Overall, I find Secret Concealer way creamier than Secret Camouflage, making it ideal for under the eye area only. I find the Secret Concealer very easy to apply and blend in and around the eye area, be sure to avoid the T-zone area as the emollient and natural oil from T-zone area won’t go well together. Coverage under the eyes I’d give it a 4 out of 5 in covering my ash grey eye bags.
Laura Mercier Secret Concealer #02 RRP AUD$45
Both Secret Camouflage and Secret Concealer are recommended to apply with the Secret Camouflage brush and always apply concealer after foundation step. On the side note, I do know a certain beauty editor (not from Australia) that swears by this combo and she goes by WITHOUT foundation (insert horror face) and just concealer as her day to day make up routine. Crazy huh?
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Brush RRP AUD$48
Step 4: Setting Powder
To finish off your flawless face foundation routine, top it up with a setting powder aka Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder, another one of their bestselling and cult favourite. Definitely one of the silkiest powder that I have tried and goes on sheer (due to no pigments in the powder) so there’s no fear of awkward “white powder” face moment or “caking” moments. As with everything else use sparingly and if you can see powder on your face you’ve used too much.
Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder #Translucent RRP AUD$68
Head to your nearest counter to trial them and find your perfect “Flawless Face” finish.
Stockist 02 9663 4277
All products mentioned are available on Laura Mercier counters now
Ah, the joy of packing and not so fun unpacking of travelling. Throughout the years, you learn your lessons with what to bring and what to refrain from bringing. For me, I try to bring minimal make up products as I know it is “my routine” to stock up make up products when I travel be it in duty free or boutique shops overseas. Another reason why I choose to under pack make up products is that they are less likely to wreck my skin as compare to using wrong skincare products.
Here are some of the skincare products I always bring with me on my overseas travel. Some are pretty self-explanatory and some I’ll explain more.
- Facial cloth masks, many of them. – SKII, Beautymate, My Beauty Diary are my top picks.
- Cream Cleanser – One that isn’t too harsh and strip my skin from its natural moisture and won’t provoke my skin to breakout. I love Trilogy Cream Cleanser (AUD $36.95) depot into travelling cases of course.
- Something that is soothing – I am very picky when it comes to hotel rooms, pillows, etc. Hence I always need something to help soothe my cranky travelling mood. Molton Brown Cedrus Temple Soother (AUD $40) is not only good for travelling in flight but also a gem to keep next to the bed to help relax and promote good quality sleep. Best of all it’s not oil based so it’s not oily/messy.
- Gel eye cream – There are not many eye cream in the market that is light, effective, inexpensive and is good to reapply without delivering milia. Uriage Eye Contour Care (AUD $39.95) is one of them that keeps dehydrated fine lines under my eyes at bay and yet it’s so lightweight to constantly reapply.
- Eye drops – This is a must, remember how I used to blog about eye drops is great to refresh and rehydrate eyes but they are also AWESOME to help flush out left over eye makeup post eye makeup removal. When travelling something like Refresh Plus Eyedrops (AUD$ 15.70) is perfect for individual use and throw away without opening a new bottle and having to worry expiry date.
- Sunscreen – One can never have too many sunscreens but make sure you open one finish it and move onto another. Otherwise if you keep used sunscreen for too long you’ll have to bin them. Always opt for moisturising, high UVA/UVB protection, non comedogenic and lightweight. One that isn’t sticky or messy even in humid weather is Neutrogena Healthy Defence Daily Moisturiser SPF 30+. Perfect as it doubles as a primer too.
- Moisturising spritz – Loving Caudalie Beauty Elixir and Uriage Thermal Water Spray (AUD$10.95). Best invention ever, I can’t never get enough of spritz that actually delivers moisture without wrecking my makeup of the day.
- Shampoo & Conditioner – I am obsessed with Rahua Voluminous Shampoo & Conditioner (AUD $40 each). Smells heavenly, soothes my dry hair extensions and the finish is just amazing. One of those hair products that you can see results after blow dry. HG status for me. You will need this especially if you’re going on a beach vacation.
- Oil based make up remover - I love them in balm/gel based. Qsilica Remove Makeup & Grime Cleansing Gel fits perfectly for the bill.
Some other make up products I drag with me are of course:
- Eyelash curler – Can’t live without one. Shu Uemura, Utowa, Koji are my top picks.
- Tweezer – From Tweezerman of course.
- Scissors – A must to open product samples, to snip off purchased tags, trip your brows, the use of a scissors whilst travelling is endless.
- Contact lenses – For cosmetic reasons, once you pop them on you’ll realise the job for eye makeup is half done. They are awesome like that. Currently loving Rainbow Color contact lenses, they are natural and very comfortable.
1) When booking in for a facial always ask how long it will take. I’ve been to facial that ranges from 30 mins – 3 hrs. It’s always a better experience to know what to expect.
2) Tidy up body hair or hair you don’t want a stranger to see. Most if not all facials involves stripping down to your undies.
3) Following from the previous point, make sure you wear your good undies, no grandma panties, you don’t want to be judged now do you.
4) Same applies for clothes and shoes, make sure you wear something that is easy to take off and put back on.
5) Obviously arrive 5-10 mins early so you don’t feel rushed and arrive with no eye makeup. They will ALL have to come off.
6) Always bring sunscreen or tinted moisturiser with you. You’ll be surprised how many salons/spas do not offer sunscreen. Weird I know.
7) No matter what you do even with a hair net, you will get “post facial” hair, always! Bring a solution, a hat, a hair tie, something, anything.
8 ) If you have hair/lash extensions or fillers/botox be sure to let your facialist know so that they know what to look out for.
9) This goes without saying, always maintain good oral hygiene.
Every night, I have a cleansing ritual that I do. I am a firm believer of going to bed cleansed, hair free from styling products, face free from makeup/dirt and body free from sweat, grime and whatnot accumulated during the day.
I have been doing this for quite a while now but have never thought of it much until I was in the shower the other day wondering if other girls would do this too. So what I have been doing is to apply a thick layer of mask all over my face and neck after cleansing my makeup off or first thing in the morning depending on when you have your shower. Make sure the mask is creamy/thick moisturising kind that is great for anti-aging, skin booster type of mask. Then, I’ll follow on with a thorough dry body brushing before jumping into the shower.
While in the shower try to avoid water going onto the face, so I’d wash my hair and body and rinse everything off including the mask as a final step. The great thing is not only will you have showered but you’ve essentially done a face mask at the same time.
Thank me later for the awesome tip, now you too can have awesome looking skin without having to set time aside to actually do one.
Great products for “shower mask” are:
Yes, you heard it right!
Splurging on a mini refrigerator or at the very least singling out a section in your fridge is the best investment you will possibly make. Reason behind this is because the cool temperature in the fridge helps to prolong possibly every beauty/makeup products you have.
It is a proven fact that perfumes last longer in cooler climate and the scent stays fresher in a long fun. Pencil eye and lip liners are easier to blend/apply when they are fresh out of the fridge. No more crumpling or wastage when you sharpen them too. I for one keep all my nail polishes in the fridge. This instantly prolongs their life span. No more yucky drying nail polish in the bottle you tried squeezing tightly shut just a week ago.
The list does not simply stop there. Masks; be it tubes, pots, DIY or individual sheets are great stored in fridge and pop onto the face for great tightening/calming/soothing effect. Moisturizers (face/body) and toners are also great kept in the fridge for the extra refreshing blast of coolness for your skin especially hot summery days.
Most importantly, the idea of storing beauty products in the fridge is to help prolong the shelve life of your products and keep it away from the summer/winter heater heat. In a long run, you save more when your product last longer and stay fresher.
Try popping your favorite mascara into the fridge before the next time you use it and see for yourself the difference it can make.
Oh, don’t forget serums, essences, emulsions, potions, lotions; they deserve a spot in the fridge too!
P/S: This piece is entirely written by yours truly and is also published in Cosmetic Club.
What’s with the bad economy all over the world, online shopping has to reduce dramatically, at least for me anyway. In this time of darkness, perhaps we should look what’s around us that is cheap and wildly available.
Why? I’m talking about ‘Strayan products of course.
You see, not many people realize the beauty about living in Australia. The benefits are a tonne. But I am not here to sing the patriotic song for Australia; I am here to point out what Aussie beauty we can benefit from that we knew close to nothing about.
Here are a list of Australian brands (which I am sure is not complete) and what they are famous for/worth checking out:
A’Kin – Famous for its organic rosehip oil which I am currently using.
Becca – Their beach tint is what all beauty editors are swearing by. Also, their concealer.
Yes to Carrots – Hand cream and lip butters, watch out for Yes to Cucumber and Yes to Tomatoes very soon.
Napolean Perdis - Primer is a gem. The cheaper version Target Sets are out 3 days ago.
Model Co. – I swear by their Lash Extend and Lash Growth.
Bloom – They have a huge range of pretty Lip glosses!
Jurlique – Heart their Rose Hand Cream and Facial Mist.
Alpha H – Awesome Glycolic Mask, Liquid Gold Lotion and Face Exfoliant.
Face of Australia – Cheap lip glosses by the pot.
Dr. LeWinn’s – Affordable Ultra R4 Recovery Mask and Hand Polish.
Be Genki – Smell so good Perfume Balm and Body oils.
Aesop – EVERYTHING!! Especially their B Triple C Facial Balancing Gel, Parsley Seed Toner, Rose Hair Mask and don’t forget their awesome DOG WASH !!!
What works for you might not work for others. I am not here to preach about how fantastic these products are. I love them so much, therefore I am here to write a post dedicated for these fanciful heroines that saved my life.
You know how sometimes when we encounter a certain product that caught us by surprise and really liked using it? But when it finishes; we’d say oh well moving along let’s try something new instead. Because frankly, there are a huge array of products with all kinds of gimmicks that are practically begging us to buy them, try them and to love them.
Yes, those products were good and some were great but we eventually switched brand, changed habit and moved along.
These products that I am about to declare my eternal love for are here to stay in my cabinets. These products are the ones that I have purchased repeatedly (twice or more). Things that I cannot do without for.
SKII – Facial Treatment Essence
Dr.Lipp – Nipple Balm for Lips
Fudge – Root Juice (I believe they have new packaging now)
La Mer – SPF 18 Fluid Tint
Kerastase – Ciment Thermique
Clarins – Beauty Flash Balm
Blistex – Daily Conditioning Therapy SPF 16 (I’m not a lucas paw paw girl.)
Clinique – Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm
Nair – Facial Hair Remover Cream
Elizabeth Arden – Eight Hour Cream Hand Treatment
If you are close to me you are probably sick of me raving about one or more of these products. If you want to read the review you could probably go through my I heart Beauty section on the left. Or just click here.
All of the above mentioned products are fairly versatile and most importantly they worked great for me or at least up until now I am yet to find any better/more reliable product that can score just as good.
Behold, I would probably come back next year with a whole new list of new loves. So come back next year and see what we’re up to.