Woah, where did time go? The last time I did a post on top picks was back in December 2012 and now we are almost half way through 2013! Having said that, let’s play some catch up for 2013 top picks – 1st quarter edition.
1) Lunasol Cheek Brush N - A blush that picks up colour and blends effortlessly is my type of blush.
2) Jill Stuart Gel Eyeliner in #01 Black Cat - The blackest gel eyeliner one can find, the pretty packaging doesn’t hurt either.
3) Chanel Le Blanc Light Mastering Whitening Compact Foundation SPF 25 - I haven’t been the biggest fan of powder foundation until I met Chanel. Cheesy but true.
4) Estee Lauder Pure Color Violet Underground Fall 2012 + Q&A with Tom Pecheux- Another winning palette from Estee Lauder. I find pinks on eyeshadow is a very feminine colour and I love it.
1) Creme De La Mer The Lip Balm - Soft and baby smooth lips minus the balmy grease. Perfect as a lip base.
2) L’Herboflore Facial Cloth Masks - HG Facial cloth mask!
3) Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Serum + Willow for Dermalogica - One of the most exciting launch in 2013, a powerful serum that also doesn’t leave skin oily.
4) RMK Cleansing Balm - Love a good cleansing balm and they will always have a soft spot in my heart. Apart from Clinique’s Take the Day off Balm, this is the only other balm that I love.
5) Chanel Masque Déstressant Pureté Purifying Cream Mask - For someone who has congestion prone skin, this was heaven sent and now I faithfully use this on a weekly basis to keep skin clear.
6) Kosmea Moisturising Lotion SPF 30+ - If you find most sunscreen that leaves your skin with a white cast annoying? You’ll never have that problem with this.
1) Sally Hansen Nails Prep - This nail care routine is my current holy grail routine.
2) YSL La Laque Couture in #11 Rose Futuriste & #14 Violine Surrealiste - Purple and hot pink, the universal shades that look good on every girl’s digits.
3) Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in #569 Emprise - A classic beige that doesn’t look washed out on my skin.
4) Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Part 1- Creamy, amazing colour choices to pick from and a smooth chip free finish for up to a week!
1) How to Create Your Ultimate Brow Shape At Home by Lien Davies - Finally, an ebook worth spending your pennies on. Lien aka my go-to brow guru aka the person who changed my outlook in make up and brows – definitely a must have if you are not lucky enough to be based in Sydney to visit Lien.
2) Liposonix Review Part 1 – Liposonix 101 - Within 4 weeks, I could see VISIBLE results, can’t wait to share my 12th week results.
3) Kerastase Cristalliste Shampoo & Conditioner - Finally a shampoo and conditioner combo great for fine hair and the pick packaging stands out in the shower.
4) Aurora Spa Kerstin Florian Signature Active AHA Results Facial - Despite the mini hick up, I would actually recommend going here for a good old facial.
Many of you are aware that I have a dog and many of you have always commented that she is a cutie, such an obedient and poised dog but not many of you know that she is also one nosy, annoying lump! For years, photos like these has been popping up in my camera and I have always dutifully deleted them while editing my pictures but just the other day while I was sifting through my folder of pictures to edit, inspiration hit me and I thought why don’t I publish a post on Belle ruining all my photo shoots.
So here’s a sneak peak behind the scene of Ponikuta.com!
Usually when I am busy snapping photos of products shots, Belle will ALWAYS be hovering around at the background and whilst I am busy snapping away trialling different angles, she would sneak in for a quick sniff of the products that I am shooting and this. happens. every. single. time when I shoot.
All pictures below were not edited.
Yes, one second she’s there sniffing and one second she’s gone.
You can see her standing at the top right watching me shooting, thinking that I’m photographing her.
Yes I shoot in my PJs, usually Saturday or Sunday mornings when the sunlight is out.
So there you have it, a little behind the scene with Ponikuta.com and let me know if you enjoy these candid pictures of her and I will keep them in the future and post them up here.
Yes, you read it right.
I have been thinking of writing this post for months now, after all I have been actively trialling skincare products for the past 8 years being some form of a human guinea pig. Partly it is also because I get asked all the time what is the best skin care product out there when people find out that I am a beauty blogger.
To which my answer will always be, “What works for me might not work for you. It all depends on your skin condition and what you want out of the results.” For some it can be as simple as hydration, for some it is all about the glow, for me it is about brightening and I am highly result driven.
You see, everyone has different opinion when it comes to skincare. Some wants a product recommendation with crazy expectations but refuses to pay the price tags. Some just want reassurance that what they are doing (or not doing) is okay. Some don’t even know what they want. Yes, I have met them all and I have tried my best to provide my humble opinion. I am after all not a dermatologist and don’t have an answer to everyone’s concern.
Right, back to my journey. As with all things, skin changes over time, over age, over diet and over lifestyle. Throughout the years, I have tried hundreds and hundreds of skin care products and can honestly say there’s very few skin care brands that can truly stand the test of time and continuously never fail to impress me with the quality of products they produce.
This is of course my recommendation based off my own experiences. I’ve started using all three of these skincare brands before my beauty blogging days and will certainly continue to use them long after I stop blogging. Loyal readers will probably notice my constant praises of products from these brands.
Best drugstore brand: Dr.LeWinn’s
This one is a no brainer for me. Especially their Line Smoothing Complex range, give it a go if you can get your paws on it. Alternatively, their new Reversaderm (2 week skincare program) works like a peel that exfoliates and regenerate skin. They also carry great hand and nail products.
Stand out products: Line Smoothing Complex S8 Super Hydrator & Line Smoothing Complex S8 Triple Action Day Defence
Best salon brand: Dermalogica
Dermalogica offers a wide range and complete skincare products covering issues like acne, hydration, brightening, ageing to sensitive skin. Both le garçon and I love their cleansers and booster products. I’d say Dermalogica will always have a place on my beauty desk despite the high product turnover rate. I find myself always reaching out to their scrubs, masks and ‘specialised’ treatment products.
Best luxury departmental store brand: SK-II
I bet this is no surprise to anyone. I am SK-II’s number one fan girl. I adore their products simply because I once had those ‘life changing’ moment when I first used their products and saw the results it delivered. I never look back since. I love their classic range and whitening source products.
Did you noticed that all 3 brands that I’ve picked doesn’t come with fancy packaging? They are all no nonsense skincare brands that only produces quality products that delivers and are great return on investments I’d say.
#1 Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Polish - Wanna DIY your nails looking pro? You will love this foolproof formula.
#2 Lunasol Petal Pure Eyes #02 Clear Pink - I love my sheer to medium pigmented eyeshadows. They go perfectly with my daily liquid eyeliner application.
#3 Facial Enhancement: Cheek Filler, Chin Filler, Lip Filler + Botox by Erase Clinic - Best decision made in my life!
#4 Medik8 Growth Factor Youth Activating Serum with Triple-Filtered EGF - The latest trend in beauty, EGF skincare everything!
#5 Garnier BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector - One of the best BB cream I have tried launched in Australia hands down by far.
#6 RMK 15th Anniversary Cheek Palette #01 Pink Coral - A blush that was too pretty to be used and I used it.
#7 La Mer The Moisturizing Soft Cream - La Mer Soft Cream is perfect for those with oily combination skin like I do.
#8 Clarins Skin Illusion Loose Powder Foundation - My current HG powder foundation.
#9 RMK Make Up Base & Liquid Foundation #202 - If you have dry skin, this is the perfect make up base + foundation combo from RMK.
Special shoutout to my MBBE sisters this month - For my MBBE sisters.
What is it?
Kiehl’s Since 1851 and Marita Cheng – official Kiehl’s ambassador and Young Australian of the Year, and Connected Community HackerSpace, Marita’s engineering team, will attempt to break a world record for ‘The Most People Simultaneously Participating in the Robo Dance’ in Melbourne, Bourke Street Mall.
Their aim is to encourage hundreds of people from all over Australia to participate in a robot dance choreographed by Marita and Kiehl’s, alongside our famous Kiehl’s unofficial mascot, Mr. Bones, who will be unveiled for everyone to meet. Mr. Bones is a life-sized skeleton that can be found in Kiehl’s stores worldwide as a nod to Kiehl’s apothecary heritage and scientific skincare.
Friday, 26th October 2012
7.30am- registration opens | 8.50am- dance commences | 8.55am – dance finishes
Bourke Street Mall, Melbourne
Special promo for my readers:
First 100 people who mention “Ponikuta” at registration receive a FREE full sized Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1. You will need to collect this from the registration desk.
You’ll also receive a FREE Kiehl’s Robo Dance t-shirt to pop-it-on and dance your way to a world record with the live NOVA FM beauty beats.
RSVP now at www.facebook.com/
Please be sure to sign in by 8:15am.
There will be 2 rehearsals so everyone can learn the dance.
First 500 participants will go in the running to win a Kiehl’s hamper valued at $500. There’s also hundreds of free Kiehl’s best selling Crème de Corps samples on the day.
1) Bobbi Brown Bronzer/Blush Duo - Easy breezy compact 2 in 1 blush/bronzer duo, perfect for a swipe of colours on the cheeks and to contour.
2) Rachel K Mineral CC Cream - My first experience with CC cream and this matches my skin perfectly, I think I am a convert.
3) Dermalogica Age Smart Skinperfect Primer - One of the best primer in the market. Definitely worth checking out and I promise you won’t regret this!
4) Sodashi Natural Skincare - Your equivalent of La Mer to natural organic skincare. Luxurious, skin loving and environmental friendly with proven results. What’s not to love?
5) Combating fine lines, puffiness and dark eye circles - Kerstin Florian Correcting Brightening Eye Creme is definitely an eye cream you WANT in your routine if under eye pigmentation is an issue.
6) shu uemura The Perfect Trio for Perfect Skin - Have you heard about shu uemura’s the perfect trio for perfect skin routine? Maybe you should!
7) Illamasqua Generation Q swatches - Illamasqua recently launched the new Generation Q and you have to experience the new collection – amazing eye shadow palette, great lip gloss and nail polish you will want to include in your nail polish collection!
August was a big month and I had a hard time to pin point what were the highlights. So here we are:
1) Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour – IMO, this is better than Coco Shine and I love how unique these colours and the finishes can be.
2) Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+/PA+++ - Discovered this in Malaysia and is from my sunscreen HG brand. I love it.
3) Yankee Candle Botanical Reed Diffuser White Gardenia - I still have this on my desk, super long lasting and love, love, love the scent.
4) Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Stay-Matte Hydrator - Didn’t think a mattifying product can deliver hydration like this. I am sold!
5) My First Thermage CPT Experience - Best investment one can ever do to their overall appearance – smaller pores, firmer/plump skin and skin heals faster post breakout. God sent!
6) Simple Kind to Eyes Eye Makeup Corrector Pen - Perfect for those who have a wonky hand when it comes to applying eye make up.
7) Caudalie Beauty Elixir - Now I know why the Parisian go crazy over this. It’s one of its kind and it deserves the cult status that everyone praises it for.
8) Les Merveilleuses Laduree Rouge #07 - 2 reasons: Pink + it’s from Laduree.
9) Chanel Les Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow #37 Variation - Another Chanel eyeshadow palette worth handing your money over for.
10) Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush - Saved the best for last. My HG foundation brush hands down. Dior apparently came out with something similar I wonder if its just as good.
Read my interview with ricebunny aka Michelle Phan. Beauty Interview: Michelle Phan for Lancome - I know this doesn’t count as product review and I know not everyone is a fan of Michelle Phan but there’s one thing for everyone to learn from this is to never give up hope, your dreams and never stop believing yourself in no matter what you do. This girl is inspirational and is one hell of a lucky duck I’d say.
It’s my birthday today and I am taking a week break from blogging – a little present to myself since I will be celebrating a birthday week.
I will of course be back to announce the winner of my current Shu Uemura Ultime8 Cleansing Oil giveaway. Don’t forget to follow me on my Ponikuta Facebook page for up to date news in all things beauty related and instagram updates.
PS, Yes I used to be a black kid. Now you know why I am forever running from the sun and is obsessed with whitening products.
See you on the other side,