Kerstin Florian is a popular US skincare brand that is used in all the luxurious spa in USA and internationally that are worth knowing. In Australia, you can find this brand in Aurora Spa & Eforea Spa, Hilton in Melbourne and a few other spas in Surfers Paradise, Brisbane and Queenstown. To be honest I have only been introduced to this brand late last year and have had the chance to trial more of their products namely the Kerstin Florian Brightening Facial Treatment & Kerstin Florian Serum C+ Infusion recently.
Kerstin Florian Serum C+ Infusion RRP AUD$169
This I use as a serum step, it delivers pure vitamin C to skin, this helps to boost firmness, improve tone and brightens the skin. In a long run, it helps to reduce appearance of fine lines. More importantly, with regular use of Vitamin C, it helps to reduce and suppress the formation of melanin (score!)
Star ingredients: Vitamin C+ Complex, Pentylene Glycol (moisturising), Methylsilanol Hydroxyproline Aspartate (firming of skin), Algae Extracts (soothing), Bitter Orange Oil (anti inflammatory)
Results: With a gel like texture, this serum absorbs into skin effortlessly without leaving skin feeling dry or tight (most brightening products often forget about the moisturising bit but this delivers) and I certainly can’t fault a pump bottle product. It has a strong orangey scent and all you need is two pumps for both face and neck application.
Having said that I haven’t seen drastic changes to my skin or any adverse reaction. To me this is more of an investment product for the future to prevent pigmentation and any sun damages that I am prone to. I did however find that this works particularly well post acne and even for sensitive skin it didn’t flare up or was too strong for my skin.
Kerstin Florian Brightening Facial Treatment RRP AUD$169
This technically is a serum too but I use this on top of my Serum C+ Infusion by layering both serum. THIS delivers instant results to skin – my skin literally glows like never before. Combining a powerful blend of skin illuminating botanicals and Acti-5 Brightening Complex, this serum works overtime to restore skin’s clarity and visibly fade dark spots.
Long term effect from this serum also helps to inhibit melanin production and to rid of dull and uneven skin (addresses my key concerns!), prevent fine lines/wrinkles and reduces brown spots.
Star ingredients: Red Algae (controls pigments), Brassica Napus Extract (active ingredient for lightening), Dermostatyl (lightening peptide), Chinese mushroom (reduce inflammation and hyperpigmentation), Black Tea Ferment (skin strengthener) + Vitamin C (boost collagen).
Results: I am impressed and this is a MUST HAVE product for me, call it holy grail if you must. For the longest time I never got the whole “radiance” craze didn’t think my skin was capable of showing me and boy this pretty much showed me what and how radiance skin could look like. Each time using this serum, my skin glows and brightens all over. It has a brightening effect on skin without weighing it down or being too rich.
I also love the scent (refreshingly citrusy) and the water based like texture absorbs into skin rapidly. Since I have started using this combo I could not be happier with my skin results!
For stockist call 02 9477 6900
With this time and age, we are all time poor and is constantly finding ways to find peace, calm and time saving methods. Well, lucky for us Olay has recently launched a serum and moisturiser combo – the latest Olay Total Effects 7 in 1 Cream + Serum Duo.
Olay Total Effects was first conceived over 10 years ago when an extensive survey discovered that women across the globe, despite their differing ethnicities and geographies, were concerned about similar signs of ageing.
The NEW Olay Total Effects Moisturiser + Serum Duo fights the seven signs of ageing by:
1. Line Minimisation: Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
2. Tone Enhancement: Evens and balances skin tone
3. Age Spots Treatment: Reduces appearance of age spots
4. Gentle Exfoliation: Smoothes and evens skin texture
5. Nourishing Moisturisation: Soothes dry skin
6. Reduction of Dullness: Gives skin a healthy radiance
7. Pore Refinement: Minimises the appearance of pores
This week, five lucky winners will walk away with the new Olay Total Effects Moisturiser and Serum Duos with SPF 15 each. Each product is valued at RRP AUD$32.49.
How to win it:
Leave a comment below and tell me what is the most important skincare step for you?
- Competition ends 5:00 pm AEDST on 15th May, 2013
- Competition is open to all readers in Australia
- Winner(s) will be selected by skill and contacted via email, be sure to check your emails to respond with your postal address
- Should the winner(s) does not respond within 48 hours, the prize will be forfeited and another winner(s) will be chosen
- Each user can only send through their entry once, failing to do so – entries won’t be qualified for the competition.
Estee Lauder finally released their CyberWhite HD skincare range in Australia, remember my post back in 2011 in regards to their BB cream? Fast forward to 2013, we now have two products from the CyberWhite HD collection available in Australia – a lotion and an essence.
Just to clarify, the lotion replaces the toner step and is a moisturising step instead of a stripping moisture from your face like most toner do. As for the essence, it is essentially a serum step. This collection is a collaboration between Germany and Japan, to study the effect of pollution on asian skin versus caucasian skin and was tested on Asian skin to address some specific Asian skin concern – namely pigmentation, brown spots, dullness and acne scarring.
Estee Lauder CyberWhite HD Advanced Spot Correcting Moisture Lotion in Fresh Moist – RRP AUD$75 (200 ml)
Use after the cleansing step, I pour a generous amount on a cotton pad and dab/pat all over my face and neck area to ensure it is absorbing into my skin. This step helps to refreshen skin and to prep skin to better absorb the essence step after. It also helps to remove any missed spot that hasn’t been cleanse properly and this will SHOW on the cotton pad.
The lotion is designed to rid skin of dullness, brighten and deliver hydration to balance skin. This comes in 2 formula – Fresh Moist and Intense Moist and I am reviewing Fresh Moist.
Results: This lotion contains fragrance and even with my sensitive and allergic prone skin it does not cause any reaction to my skin which is great. The lotion absorbs into my skin quite quickly and keeps my skin well hydrated and the welcoming refreshing floral scent also helps to revitalise skin. I quite like this especially in the mornings and is rotating between this and my all time favourite SKII Facial Treatment Essence depending on my skin’s needs and weather.
Estee Lauder Cyberwhite HD Advanced Spot Correcting Essence – RRP AUD$140 (30 ml)
Recommended to use straight after the lotion step, the Advanced Spot Correcting Essence step is a serum step where you apply before your moisturiser. Serum being the most concentrated step in your skincare is a step I’d always recommend ladies to invest their hard earned clams on. Always look out for serum that addresses your MAIN skin concern. Mine being dullness and scarring – makes this serum the perfect fit for my skincare routine.
Combining the highest level of HD-90 technology, this serum focuses in brightening the look of dark spots and to boost radiance to skin. Most of all, it also contain a high concentrate of anti inflammatory botanical helping to soothe skin, reduce redness and to even out skin tone.
Results: Every day and night, I diligently pump two full pumps to massage all over my face and neck. Surprisingly, despite this being a brightening product it fills my skin with moisture (in my past experience most brightening skin care product seems to feel a tad too drying on skin). This alone is a winner for me as we all know how DRYING it is in Australia.
I have been using this twice a day for the past 3 weeks and have noticed my skin looking more “even” textured. Less blotchy, less redness and less visibly acne scarring. Occasionally, I also use this around my eye areas with no issue whatsoever. Overall, I think it is fair to say ‘I love it!”.
Both products are available to purchase on Estee Lauder counters and online via esteelauder.com.au
Call 1800 061 326 for stockist
In the past I haven’t review heaps of Medik8 skincare products because they are not your conventional skincare product line. Medik8 is mainly supplied via salons and some certified online retailers; reason behind this is because you’ll need to know what active ingredients are in your skincare and this needs to be prescribed.
Not too long ago, Medik8 launched an innovative + powerful serum that was hailed as the next generation in visible anti-ageing performance – Medik8 Growth Factor Youth Activating Serum with Triple-Filtered EGF.* I might be calling this to soon but EGF is the new craze in terms of skincare talk, we all know BioEffect launched their EGF awhile back and everyone was raving how effective and result driven that product was & a CC cream that I have recently reviewed claims to contain EGF in it too.
Medik8 Growth Factor Youth Activating Serum as you know it contains active ingredient – Triple-Filtered Epidermal Growth Factor (utilising the one of only two known synthetic EGF in the world!) and has gone through a unique triple filtration process that guarantees activity, stability and safety.
So what is this whole EGF crazy about?
In a nutshell, EGF increases epidermal cell proliferation and the production of collagen and elastin in the skin: this means that the skin renews itself quicker, skin texture is more defined, and skin tone and elasticity is improved. Very similar to what Thermage does but on a topical level. In addition, this serum is liposome based making it easier to penetrate skin for a more efficient delivery of ingredients into deeper layer of skin hence triggering a better result.
On the packaging itself, it also says that due to this being liposome based, it is recommended to NOT use any other serum before this serum application otherwise it will reduce the efficiency of product penetration into skin.
Overall, I love this serum because it is suitable for all skin types and skin condition, even when I was breaking out, post thermage and after injectables. My skin took it on amazingly without any issues. I guess it is good to know that this is fragrance free, paraben free, 100% non-animal and non-human in derivation.
It is a non-sticky clear gel texture and comes in a glass bottle packaging complete with a dropper to measure how much product you need for each application. I use 3-5 drops on my face and an additional 3-5 drops on my neck/décolletage area. The finish is instantly well hydrated, moisturised skin with no residue sitting on my skin.
Result wise, I love my skin after each application of this serum and especially the morning after. I find my scarring heals faster and my skin feels well hydrated throughout the day with no signs of dry bits. I have also noticed the difference in makeup staying on my skin with no signs of dehydration. Definitely recommend this to those who want baby smooth skin, prevent fine lines/wrinkles and those with dehydrated skin regardless of your skin type. While I have oily/combination skin, at times I can feel that my skin is dry and tight too, so this really helps to rectify those issues. Love it!
Note: It is also recommended to use with skin needling.
*Epidermal Growth Factor. EGF are powerful biological molecules naturally present in the body, which are particularly useful at reversing the signs of ageing. They act as cell communicators, activating the skin’s receptors, stimulating cellular activity which results in cell regeneration and differentiation.
Available in salons and online now
Why I love it:
- This night treatment doubles as spot treatment and moisturiser to banish spots be it blemish scarring, age spot, skin discolouration or sun spots, this cream helps to brighten and reduce the intensity of the dark spots.
- Love the pump bottle packaging and I could control it to dispense half a pump too. Be sure to wipe the pump after each use it doesn’t leave dry residue around the pump dispenser.
- While I won’t call this a miracle product (that’s a big claim), truly only multiple session of laser treatments can truly 100% remove dark spots aka hyperpigmentation, this cream delivers by reducing the intensity of age spots/sun spots/acne discoloration and unifying skin tone by brighten the overall appearance
- Combining ingredients like niacinamide which is famous for prohibiting melanin production and Vitamin C for brightening; this tan coloured scentless cream goes onto skin clear. I use approximately 2-3 pumps to my entire face and neck nightly on cleansed skin and an additional half a pump on concern areas; this doesn’t leave skin greasy or break me out (double thumbs up). I do however feel that the cream is sitting on my skin and doesn’t feel like it absorb into my skin as it is a treatment product designed to sit on area to treat.
- In terms of results, I did find my skin smoother and looked more even toned (as I have massive uneven skin tone issue, perks of being Asian) resulting in a brighter, radiant finish. To be honest, I don’t have heaps of hyperpigmentation issues (touch wood) like age spot / sun spot but I do however have some acne scarring results in discoloration and one particular annoying sun spot on my forehead that refuses to budge. Due to this cream helping to unify my skin tone, I find it helps to visibly reduce my acne discoloration but haven’t seen much results with the annoying sun spot on my forehead but then again, that’s been there for years and I doubt it’s something topical can cure.
- Suitable for all skin tones and ethnicities, perfect for those with dull, ageing skin and is looking for a smoother, brighter skin booster.
- Recommended to use Miracle Worker Miraculous Anti-Aging Retinoid Pads prior and complete your routine with this night treatment after. Also be diligent with sunscreen application to ensure thorough sun protection.
What I didn’t like:
- I am big on cleanser > toner > serum > moisturiser routine. This night treatment calls for application on dry skin in order for its effectiveness to work 100%, meaning I will have to cleanse > moisturiser and skip my favourite steps of toner/serum. It’s in my head that I need to do more steps than just one step process.
Available on counter now
Why I love it:
- Available in two shades: Ultra Black and Black
- Promises 24 hours wear and longer looking lashes in 2 weeks (I’m sold and yes I am a sucker for multi-purpose products!)
- Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearer (fragrance free, paraben free, hypoallergenic)
- Contains Japanese formulated lash enhancing treatment- Myristoyl pentapeptide-17 (no idea what it is but it is believed to enhance the natural growth of eye lashes)
- Foolproof eyeliner brush that is able to deliver precise fine to thick lines to your preference, especially love how the fine tip can draw on the finest flick ever as most eyeliner brush tip don’t deliver and more often than products don’t get to the tip for an intense deep shade flick.
- It is water resistant and smudge resistant, good to bring very close to the water line. I wear eyeshadow base ALL THE TIME, so I am unable to comment on if this would work just as brilliantly minus the eyeshadow base.
- How-to: Shake the eyeliner to distribute products evenly and apply the eyeliner above your lashline just like you would to your normal eyeliner application. Feel free to add flicks and draw on your usual liner application.
Results: I am using #Ultra Black and the shade is an intense dark black shade which I adore. The brush itself is a good sized brush helps for liner application effortlessly & the tip of the brush would be my favourite as it is so fine and is able to deliver really fine flicks. The liner stayed until I had them remove by the end of the day and all in all this is a top eyeliner for me. In terms of lash lengthening, I haven’t seen much results from wearing this 5 days a week for 2 weeks now. Regardless, I am happy to keep using this as I am in love with how easy to apply and pigmented this eye liner is so the lash conditioning and lengthening is a BONUS for me.
My shade: #Ultra Black
I also got to trial Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara (RRP AUD$24.95) , pretty good as an organic mascara brand but alas the brush wand was way to big for my barely existing eye lashes. Give it a go if you’re into big mascara brushes.
Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum RRP AUD$21.95
Available at selected Priceline store
Hi ladies with winter truly and fully taken over, I thought I’d start sharing some of my all time favourite and newly discovered skin care for winter. Let’s start off with Trilogy Age Proof CoQ10 Booster Serum. Back in 2009, I raved about how amazing the Trilogy CoQ10 Booster Capsules were and after a good 3 years later, what do you know? They are now available in pure serum form and have already won Best Skin Serum in the 2011 Natural Health UK Best Beauty Buy Award. Imagine my delight!
This nourishing booster serum works like an oil serum that also boosts skin recovery (especially important for those of you who likes to sit next to a heater) and gives this radiant glowy skin the morning after. Utilising the same tamanu oil complex (aka in my opinion better than rosehip oil because it doesn’t break me out) + co-enzyme Q10 formula, I find this nourishing enough and I use this in place of my moisturiser at night before bed time.
Good for the face, neck, decolletage, hands and even feet (add socks) and you’re guaranteed baby soft skin the next day which makes make up application a bliss.
TIP: If you have really dry and flaky skin, try sealing in all the serum goodness with Trilogy’s Ultra Hydrating Face Cream (RRP AUD$37.95). I have oily/combination skin which means I don’t usually need to use a moisturiser post serum application.
Available on Priceline, Myer, pharmacy and health store counters now
Stockist 03 9533 1336
I have heard plenty of raving regarding Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate for the longest time. Now that they’ve launched a matching Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eyes; I thought it is high time I trial them both now. To be honest, I have not trial that many Kiehl’s products that made me fell head over heels for. I have the mentality of the more potent it is the better it is; hence I haven’t been much of a fan for organic, natural products.
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate
My experience with Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate came along very timely. About the time I had to undergo a laser treatment. Needless to say, leading up to the laser I was using this as my serum/moisturiser every night. Since most of the ingredients were derived from natural ingredients (pure essential oils and distilled botanicals) they were great for prepping my skin for the laser and my skin post laser. This replenishing concentrate is lightweight, only required a few drops for full face application. I usually drop 3-5 drops on my palm warm it up a little and gently pat and press all over my face and neck area. Love the dropper packaging as it makes the serum easy for dispensing as well.
It is recommended to use as a serum and finish with a moisturiser but since I have fairly oily skin, I went with the serum step only and did not suffer any signs of tightness or dryness. In the morning, I find my skin soft and smooth with no signs of oiliness around my face at all. As this serum is designed to boost moisture, I’d highly recommend this for all skin types that are suffering from skin dryness. I am happy to report that my oily skin did not break out from this either.
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eyes is the new product from Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery product range. Designed as a restorative night treatment for the eyes so that you can wake up to fresher, puffiness and younger looking eyes in the morning. While I can’t vow for the younger looking eyes effect, I did however woke up to softer, less puffy and more supple under eyes.
All you really need is a tiny 1-2 drops of the eye cream and gently pat under eyes and along the orbital bones. I usually incorporate some gentle massage to ensure the eye cream absorb thoroughly and quickly. I am also happy to report that I didn’t get any milia around the eye area while using this.
All products are paraben free, fragrance free and mineral oil free
Available on Kiehl’s counters now